Monday, August 14, 2006

Sugar water....




Man oh man oh man...what a wonderful way to end a hard week and start a new one...

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Sugar Water Festival in Columbia, MD, and it was one of those experiences for a LIFETIME! I went last year, but I went in Jersey, I took my BF for her 25th birthday...we had seats, and we weren't on the lawn...its was GREAT then...but I guess its just different when you are HOME at a concert like that....the VIBE is just different...

So let's start there...the VIBE for the day...OFF the break was one of positivity and sisterhood at its finest...such a beautiful feeling....

My gurls decided that since they couldn't party with me the weekend for my B-day that they were going to treat me to the SWF...now...there had been talks but nothing was confirmed until the weekend...So I get to Odenton to meet up with them...and I am late...but its all good...we get in the truck, ride out...go get the tickets, and go get something to eat from one of my FAVORITE spots...the Cheesecake Factory....I ordered my favorite meal and we are all sitting there laughing and joking...

Once we left there we are OFF to the concert...THE LINE...aw man aw man the LINE that thing was, I can't even fake and try to say, but it was too long for it ONLY to be 5:15 and the doors had JUST opened!

But man when you saw all those Black people, just laughing, joking and getting along...it was the GREATEST feeling...it was one of such peace and unity...as my gurl Cher said "its like the Million Man March out this joint..." we would swap comments such as these ALL night long....

We found a BOMB spot on the grass and set up shop right. The spot was right at the bottom on the hill so we were right behind the last seats in the seated area....the show actually started ONLY 15 minutes late...

Kelis was up first...
she looked great, sounded good...I really like her sultry deep voice...she hit us with a couple of new songs...that I was totally digging so I recommend coping that new disc "Kelis was Here" on August 22nd

Then here comes Mo'Nique...all I can say about her is she KEEPS IT real in the strongest form and fashion of the word...she talked about everything from her relationship, to her twins, to how she knew her 15 year old son lost his virginity...all of IT...just raw and in your face...like Eddie Murphy in his "Raw" days....

Here comes my gurl Miss Jilly from Philly...when I say I LOVE this woman...she is just so beautiful inside and out...she is who she is...man...beauty just comes from her from every direction...LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT...and that voice...she does stuff that some opera singers can't do....she too dropped some new stuff (this would happen with all of the Queens on this show) so gots to get her new ablum too...

In between each of the set ups...Mo'Nique would come out and talk trash messing with folks...LOVED it! It kept us laughing and joking...it was a good intermission so to speak....

All Hail the Queen as she comes to the throne...I must admit I wasn't really interested in seeing Queen Latifah...I mean she ripped it last year, but I was just in my soul music vibe and wasn't in the mood...but man did that change within the first 15 seconds that she was on stage...she came out with that Old Skool Hip Hop...that real Hip Hop...I was on my feet....she went through a couple of those...but Simply Beautiful and U.N.I.T.Y. stand out....

aw man aw man...here she comes....Erykah Badu...NOW who else do you KNOW who can still sing songs that are 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 YEARS old, and EVERY ONE gets up on their feet....I mean she ROCKED it...another woman that I honestly just love! Her music, her style (she had some BAD boots ya'll with this short dress...GETTIN IT...LOVED IT)...she ended with "Bag Lady" and ALL the Queens from the tour came out and sang with her...I mean they saaannnnggg...even Mo'Nique....

The Queens on that tour shut it down...maybe because last night was the last night they did extra stuff...but the music, the love, the energy, it was so LIVE...the VIBE was SO positive and just REAL...everyone did THEIR OWN THING...nobody tried to do anything other than what THEY do...and that's what I loved about it...women performing together working together....it was GREAT to me...

The show lasted 5 hours...and not one time was I "readit to go..." I wasn't even ready to go when we left really...but I knew I needed to get back down around the way...

This one goes down in the history books....YES!!!!!

So THANK YOU, Jes, Ri, & Cher....LOVED it LADIES!

GOOD MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I have to excitedly agree with you. I had the BEST time in a long time yesterday. For me, going to concerts is one of the best forms of entertainment. I LOVE CONCERTS & having not been to a concert in lets say...um...I guess like 2 years...it was seriously long overdue. I used to FAITHFULLY & RELIGIOUSLY go to 2-3 concerts a year so you can only imagine what I have been missing.

My last concert was OFF THE CHAIN as well but it was a totally different concert. I went to the Best of Both Worlds concert in NYC at Madison Square Gardens. I went on that Saturday night so I went to the 1st show where R. Kelly was officially off of the tour & the tour was righfully named the Jay Z & Friends Tour. I have to say, I was so disappointed in the fact that I wasn't gonna be able to see R. Kelly perform his million hits but Jay Z & his millions on artist friends made it a GREAT & VERY MEMORABLE show for me. I mean, he brought every one & their momma out on stage. I LOVED IT TO DEATH!!!!

Now the Sugar Water Festeival was just on another level. First off, those 3...4...5 ladies are all "true" performers. Not to take anything away from Jay Z & his friends but those women can PERFORM...especially Jill & Erykah!!! Man oh man I LOVE them. Big up to Monique, Queen, & Kelis. That show was so HOTT!!!!

Anyway, I am gonna sign out right now Tiff but I am so gald you enjoyed yourself because I sure did.

Anonymous said...

I had the best time too! I think this should become a ritual for everybody...next year...your friends, our friends...should get lawn tickets and lock that joint DOWN!!! We have to make it a annual event for the sisters...I was truly restored and enriched by that concert. I had a wonderful time...SISTA'S for LIFE! Smooches!

Ms. Confessions said...

Sounds like you guys had the best weekend!

Isn't it fun to just do things like that with your girls?

T.a.c.D said...

YES Sugar Water Festival EVERY year as long as they are coming here...let's keep it moving...its SO refreshing...good music AND your gurls...now that's living!

Anonymous said...

Ok Tiff this is my first time posting on a blog and I am so excited that it is yours. The show was outstanding and the love was great. A must do every year.

LIVE,LOVE,AND LAUGH HARD
CHER

T.a.c.D said...

Awwwwww Thanks Cher...I am honored that you came through...
my saying is:
Live, Laugh, and Love...man us Leo's!