Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Remembering

I debated about whether or not I was going to write anything about the Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina...but I decided that too many people have died and suffered not to talk about it.

First, to me the event of Katrina is not a black or white thing...its a "have and a have not thing"...its a "the poor and poorer and a rich and the richer thing"...
Its no secret that the majority of residents that where Black, BUT there were a significant amount of White residents of the gulf that also have been displaced

Many people would like to speculate on whether they would have left or ask the question: why did people stay? Being from the DC and never having to experience such a storm, just like the majority of those who have had something to say, I can't say...

Another question is why or where was the local, state, and federal government...now the list of these questions can go on and on and on and on and on and on....
BUT I have decided NOT to rant about that as well...I mean I honestly could say that the local government could have taken local school buses to the lower wards and get people out, force people to leave. I can say that the state could have sent in resources sooner, I can say that the president didn't go down there soon enough, that the funds that have so far been budgeted for the "clean up" has been MISappropriated more than anything else...I won't talk about the fact that homeowners insurances companies are not paying the homeowners....that the car insurance companies are paying the car owners...I won't talk about how contractors are "getting over on the government by charging them extremely high rates and aren't even paying their laborers OR are hiring and paying illegal workers....I won't talk about how its unfair to really compare the 9-11 and Katrina, the two major events in our history, not just recent history...an entire city versus a portion of a NYC island...you can't compare the events, reactions, or leadership, to do so would be an injustice to either event or their significance to our American history....I won't talk about the Nigerian quote that says: "you cannot be worried about putting the fire out on your neighbors roof, when you roof is on fire"

Those things I won't talk about...

...what I would like to do is say to ...the Human spirit is an amazing thing...

I remember when this first happened little big sis and her cousin (and me if I could find the money) where going to go down and help, but things weren't organized so there was really nothing that we could do...so we got it together and helped my local sorority chapter gather and organize items...my "brother" Kil went down there with a group of men from his church and one of my mentees from Kiamsha spent her spring break down there...this is just a sample of what folks that I personally know have done....

I want to recognize all that have given of themselves, their homes, their financial resources, their love and hearts...its folks like you that make the world go round...and its people like you that keep me believing...

To all of my brothers and sisters out there (black, white, brown or purple) to keep their heads up! Keep pushing on and keep striving....if you want to go back go back, if you want to start over start over, just don't give up hope! I know its easy for me to say that I didn't have to experience losing everything, including my hope...but we aren't done yet....

Remember:
I am because you are, because you are, therefore, I am.
Auguste Comte (1798-1857)

One day you will find home again...

1 comment:

jendayi said...

Thanks for writing this. I didn't even realize that it was already the anniversary. Good post.