Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Acting Debut!

My debut was something kind of special to me...
Ok, ok, so I am not an actress or a "back stage" director

BUT last night for the Kiamsha End of the Year Performance I was all of those things...

It started (well my part started) with me coming out and yelling at the kids about not paying attention to me when I am trying to get them on the "bus" for the annual conference...
from there my partner (in the play and with the group she is the Assitant Director, I am the Director of the youth group...I will explain in another post) gets them all hyped up and ready to go and dare I say it we break out into a musical dance routine...(now I know what you are thinking, and yes I looked like a total HAM)

The show continues and I am helping the kids stay focused and keeping the show moving...
Even running on stage and setting up for the final scene when someone forgot...

But I think that the highlight of the show was when one of my peers gave our mentor his "Fruit of the Spirit" Award...can we say shocked...he was totally surprised and so excited that we recognized him...he is like a brother to me, family, and after all that he has done for us, the least we could do was have the Reverend present him with an award...

Today I spoke to the REAL director of the show, another mentor of mines (as you hear me talk about Kiamsha you will find that I have several "mothers" "fathers" and a whole lot of brothers and sisters...its a BIG family, I guess that's why last nights show was appropriately titled: FAMILY)
Anyways, she told me how she couldn't have done it back stage without me, and even though you (I/we) work hard for the kids and NOT to bring something like this together for the THANKS, it does feel good to hear it

So even though I know that I looked like a total nerd on stage last night, dressed down, looking like I was at an actual youth conference (not cute and done up like you would think someone making their acting debut would look) and even though I was totally stressed out up until the show was over, due to the long nights and 100+1 rehearsals. And even though I have been in previous shows before....
Last night was unlike any other night, and I guess since I am in a better place with me now, in my life, it truly did feel like it was my debut

No comments: